BÍ URBAN 2015
Bí URBAN is a unique two day process of participatory research partnering six urban beekeeping projects with representatives from social projects, academics, professionals and citizens resident in Dublin’s Northwest Inner City, to create a hyperactive learning environment and foster trans-disciplinary exchange. Participants will use the principals of the bee colony as a starting point to explore six urban themes: Home - Food - Health - The Commons – Navigation - Communication Aims of the Workshop
- Repurpose Dublin’s Northwest Inner City as a learning environment
- Engage participants in two days action research and appreciative enquiry
- Document the process using a range of media for immediate and future reflection and analysis
- Create a new urban field of research, a local, national and international network of collaborators and projects to pursue in 2016
- An experiment in best practice participative design and planning methodologies, as supported by the EU Cohesion Policy 2014-2020, the Aarhus Convention and other EU mechanisms.
- Expansion of civil capacity through community engagement in topical issues through the use of policy and guidelines set by the EU for sustainable urban planning and ecological design.
- Creation of a network of demonstration projects of immediate value to Dublin City Council, North City Dublin and other national and international cities.
- Revision and remediation of residual lands and disused industrial sites in Dublin’s Northwest Inner City as exemplars in sustainable urban planning and design. Adding value to the redevelopment (DIT, HSE, RPA) currently in progress and increasing community ‘buy in.’
- Development of new areas of expertise, enterprise and job creation required to plan, build and service green infrastructure, urban agriculture and food security.
- Strengthening local, national and international networking and resource sharing.
- Developing ICT architecture and mapping strategies for the mutual benefit of all.
- Providing a case study to support the development of Citizen Science methodology and application.